Check out the Updated post: [UPDATED] – How to Capture Email before Downloading a File in WordPress
You might have come across many sites over internet which asks you to put in your email and take a file ( like PDF ) in return. If you ever wondered how this can be done on WordPress site then follow these steps.
What all you’ll need:
To get this done you will need 3 WordPress plugins:
- Install all the three plugins I mentioned above on your WordPress instance.
- Go to Email before Download plugin settings ( http://example.com/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=email-before-download ) and setup Delivery Format, Hide/Mask Real Link, Link Expiration Time values as per your requirement and hit ‘Save Changes’.
3. Now navigate to Contact Form 7 settings and create a contact form ( on left menu Contact > Add New ).
4. Give a title to your form, remove unwanted fields ( highlighted here, else if you wish you can keep them as well ) from the form and Save.
5. Once you save the form, make note of the form ID, we’ll use it later ( here it was 825 ).
6. Now go to Download Monitor and add the file which your readers will download ( On left menu Download > Add New ).
7. Give a title to Download ( this will be shown to your readers once they fill up the form and submit ).
Don’t forget to make a note of the File ID as well, highlighted in the picture above.
8. Add the file using file Downloadable Files/ Versions section
9. Hit Publish.
10. Now create a Page/Post, wherever you want to keep your file at and insert following code in it.
Where X will be the file id ( for me it was 850, can vary for you ) and Y will be Contact Form ID ( for me it was 825, may vary for you ).
11. Save and Publish the Page/Post.
Here is a sample which I created as a demo.
Do let us know your thoughts in comments section below.